The importance of launching our surfcasting rod correctly
The name of surfcasting comes to mean “thrown on the waves” . This translation indicates that the most important part of this modality is precisely the power that each fisherman has over the cast so that it is as correct as possible, it is the action that gives the style its name . If it is done in an ideal way, it is very likely that you can have total control over the catches, although let’s not forget that throwing as far as possible is not always a guarantee of getting the best specimens.
In fact, the most important goal in surfcasting fishing is to get as far as possible. If you can launch from a long distance, there will be a greater probability of multiplying the number of captures , which, of course, are at a certain distance from us, keeping your back. For this reason, many of the fans of this type of fishing practice in controlled areas, where they know they will find specimens, in order to master the technique.
But of course it is not only important to make long casts, they must also be accurate . It is useless to get to a difficult area if we are not precise and we place all our rods in different places. The fisherman can play with the force exerted on his rod, in fact, it is even entertaining, but in a controlled manner.
Each one can make a specific type of cast , since that is up to the user to decide, but there are already previously defined techniques that are worth knowing. In the next section we will be able to know those that allow us to make fishing casts in the farthest surfcasting .
Mastering casting techniques requires a good dose of practice . In fact, in order to control these gestures and perform them, the recommendation is that your practice be continuous. It may seem that learning them is slow, but really the distance at which we make the sets will gradually increase with each lesson. If you feel like it, be sure to try some fishing simulators that are for the computer and console.
Finally, it should be noted that there are variables that can condition our launch in a positive or negative way . These are, for example, the distance from the lead to the tip of the rod and the weight of the lead. Each fisherman will be in charge of selecting the optimal weight and distance for them according to their shot.
What types of fishing casts in surfcasting are there and how to do them step by step?
Currently, there are as many sets as fishermen are dedicated to surfcasting , since each person chooses the way he wants to do them and these are always impregnated with small or large differences. But there are three very basic casting techniques that every fisherman should know, at least for later and to personalize them as best suits each one.
We will detail, step by step, each of them:
Traditional cast (overhead)
This is the easiest way to launch and, therefore, it is also the most used. The following tips should be followed to perform the shot perfectly.
- First of all, we must face the sea with the rod placed above our head. It must also be placed in a horizontal position.
- We made the cast with a sudden movement and an approximate angle of 45 degrees in relation to the sea, trying to stop it dry. What this is going to do is give more strength to the rod.
- This type of launch can be done both standing and moving. Therefore, each fisherman should practice a little and decide the easiest way to do it.
This release is much more elaborate and complex than what we have seen in the previous section. It is necessary to do it correctly, since with an OTG cast it is intended to reach much greater distances than those achieved, on average, with a traditional cast.
- In order to carry it out correctly, it is necessary to position yourself with your back to the sea, with the rod in a horizontal position and to the right or left depending on the hand with which we work.
It is necessary that the lead is supported in the sand; in fact, it should be located on the same line of the rod.
- We start by making a turn, as coordinated as possible, lifting the rod up and braking it dry at an angle that is much greater than what we do in a traditional cast, always depending on our capabilities, of course.
- The route that it has to do is very long and, therefore, the lead shoots up reaching an enormous speed.
The only thing that is required for this casting technique to be correct is that the rod is of good quality and not too soft because it loads a lot and we could break it if it is not the most appropriate.
This technique is perhaps the most elaborate and complicated of all. But, if we manage to master it, for us the launch will be a child’s thing and will carry guaranteed success. In fact, it will be the type of cast that will allow us to achieve the greatest distances and, therefore, to be seen by a greater number of specimens that may be interested in us.
- To start doing it, we must stand with our backs to the sea and with the rod vertically, slightly inclined forward.
- We must make the lead begin to swing, imitating the movement of a pendulum. This is the obvious reason why the cast type is given this name.
- At the moment when the lead is at the end of the movement, we must make the rod rotate in coordination with the movement of our own body. This causes us to direct the lead towards the area that we have previously decided.
- Finally, the cane must be stopped again dry so that all the energy generated is released.
For this type of cast, slightly stiffer rods are recommended .
Tips to improve fishing sets in surfcasting
- The most important of all is that each set should be practiced safely and using a good dose of control . Hence, to practice you have to go to other more remote areas, where there are no people we can injure. In fact, in the event of a bad launch, it must be treated as an accident that could end in serious consequences, being very aware of what an error or lack of concentration entails.
- If you want the thread to slide better, you must reduce its diameter as much as possible , without forgetting the rest of the elements that condition said thickness. If you want to perform a good glide, you should choose a relatively fine yarn.
- If you have the possibility, we recommend that the ballast or plumb line you use is more aerodynamic , since its penetration in the air should contribute to increasing the casting distance and the power with which it is carried out.
- Another recommendation is that, until you master the technique you decide to do, you must replace the lead with a tennis ball .
- In addition, you must protect the finger with which you hold the line . With such a simple gesture you can avoid cuts.
- If you have the opportunity, it is important that you go to practice with an expert , so that observing your way of working can correct any defects you may have before you envy the gesture.
- An ideal place is usually the plains of the most abandoned coasts . This is because people go to those places to measure their sets, without anyone else being able to control it.
- If nobody accompanies you, we recommend recording a video , so that you can self-correct at any time.